Wednesday, July 27, 2016

24 Day of Christmas Day 6


Rock 
1 Nephi 15:15 And then at that day will they not rejoice and give praise unto their everlasting God, their rock and their salvation?

Carol: O Holy Night

Story: When the Wise Man Appeared

When the Wise Man Appeared
William Ashley Anderson

It was a bitterly cold night, vast and empty. Over Hallett's Hill a brilliant star danced like tinsel on the tip of a Christmas tree. The still air was as resonant as the inside of an iron bell; but within our snug farmhouse in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania it was mellow with the warmth of our cherry-red stoves.
The dinner things had been cleared away, and 1 relaxed when Bruce came downstairs—an apparition in a long white nightgown with a purple cloak of tintexed cotton over his shoulders. In one hand he held a tall crown of yellow pasteboard and tinsel. From the other swung an ornate censer. On his feet were thin flapping sandals.
"What in the world are you supposed to be?" I asked.
My wife looked at the boy critically, but with concern and tenderness.
"He's one of the Wise Men of the East!" she explained with some indignation.
The look she gave me was an urgent reminder that I had promised to get him to the schoolhouse in town in time for the Christmas pageant. I shud­dered at the thought of the cold and went out into the night, pulling on a heavy coat.
The batten' in the old car had gone dead, but by one of those freaks of mechanical whimsy, the engine caught at the first turn of the crank. That was a trick of the devil, for the engine died before we got out to the main road. My heart sank. I glanced at Bruce, with the crown and censer clasped in his arms, staring down the endless lane that disappeared in the lonely hills. Hallett's place was more than a mile and a half away, and the nearest turn of Route 90, with the thin chance of a lift, was more than two miles away.
Well, I thought, it's not tragically important. Bruce still said nothing, but his eyes were staring now at the big star twinkling just over the ragged edge of the mountain. Then an uneasy feeling stirred in me, because I knew the boy was praying. He had made his promise, too, and he was praying that nothing would keep him from being one of the Three Wise Men on this magic Christmas Eve.
I strained and heaved at the crank, but it was useless. I thought it over. When I looked up, Bruce was scuttling down the lane, one hand holding his skim, the other swinging the censer, the high golden crown perched cockeyed on his head. I hesi­tated between laughing at him and yelling for him to stop. Then I began once more to crank.
Finally the engine coughed throatily. I scram­bled into the car. Just about where the road enters town I overtook Bruce.
"You shouldn't have gone off that way," I growled. "It's too cold."
"I made a fire in the censer," he said. "I kept warm enough. I took a bearing on the star, made a short cut across Basoine's farm, and came out right by the new cottage." He shivered.
"But look at your feet! You might have frozen them!"
"It wasn't so bad."
We arrived at the school on time. I stood in back and watched. When I saw Bruce appear, walk­ing stiff-legged on cut and chilblained feet, kneeling by the creche declaiming his lines, I regretted my laughter at the dinner table. Then an uneasy awe rose up within me. Something stronger than a promise, I knew, had brought him through the bit­ter night to this sacred pageant.
Going home, Bruce showed me where the short­cut came out. "That's where the Thompsons live," he said, and added, "Harry Thompson died there."
As we passed the Basoine farm there were lights burning. I thought this was strange. Since George Basoine had gone off to war, the old grand­mother, who had lost her youngest son in the first war, had sort of shriveled up, and a gloom lay over the house; but as I slowed down I could see Lou Basoine through the kitchen window, smoking his pipe and talking with his wife and mother.
That was about all there was to the evening. But on Christmas Day a friendly farmer's wife came by with gifts of mincemeat, made from venison, and a jug of sassafras cider. She went into the kitchen where my wife was supervising the Christmas feast. I drifted toward the kitchen, too, when I heard laughter there, since I have a weakness for the gos­sip of the countryside.
"You must hear this!" said my wife. The farmer's wife looked at me with a glittering but wary eye.
"You hain't a-goin' to believe it either," she said. "Just the same I'm tellin' you, folks up here in the hills see things and they do believe!"
"What have you been seeing?"
"It was old Mrs. Basoine. Last night when she was a-feelin' low she thought she heard something back of the barn and she looked out. Now I'll say this for the old lady—she's got good vision. There warn't no moonlight, but if you recollect it was a bright, starry night. And there she saw, plain as day, one of the Wise Men of the Bible come a-walkin' along the hill with a gold crown on his head, a-swingjn' one of them pots with smoke in them—"
My wife and I looked at each other, but before I could say anything our visitor hurried on:
"Now don't you start a-laughin'. There's other testimony! Them Thompsons. You know the ones whose oldest boy died? Well, the children heard him first—a singin' 'Come, All Ye Faithful' plain as day. They went runnin' to the window, and they seen the Wise Man a-walkin' in the starlight across the lane, gold crown and robes, and fire pot and all!"
The farmer's wife looked defiantly at me. "Old folks and children see things that maybe we can't. All I can say is this: Basoines and Thompsons don't even know each other. But old lady Basoine was heartsick and lonely for her lost boy, and the Thompsons was heartsick and lonely because this was the first Christmas without Harry, and you dassent say they wasn't a-prayin' too! Maybe you don't believe that amounts to anythin'—but I'm tellin' you it was a comfort to them to see and believe!"
In the quiet of the kitchen the eyes of the two women searched my face—for disbelief, perhaps, since I'm not a very religious person. But whatever they expected, they were surprised at what they got.
I hadn't seen a vision that Christmas Eve, but what I had seen was to me far more impressive than any apparition: a flesh-and-blood small boy with a promise to keep, following over a trackless countryside the star which centuries ago led the Wise Men to Bethlehem. And it was not for me to deny the courage and the faith I saw in my son's eyes that night.
And so I said, with a sincerity which must have startled those two good women as much as it obviously pleased them:

"Yes, I believe that God is very close to us at Christmas."

No comments:

Post a Comment